Sunday, October 4, 2009

A Pick Me Up

Amazing that no matter where we are God is there.  We are never more than a whisper from Jesus' name.

On a flight the other day, I was reminded about His presence.  I never lose my awe of being so far above the earth.  As I looked at the clouds just suspended in air and the "life" below, I wondered what it all looks like to God.  It's too much to comprehend.

And then I thought about His presence.  It's everywhere.  The airplane can't get any closer to the air.  It is in it.  The presence of Jesus is everywhere.  If you are breathing, you are in it.   

While in worship today, I sensed His presence.  It was majestic and whooing.  My king was drawing me close to him.  In those moments, I never want to leave.  It is heavenly.  It was more than a knowledge of His presence, it was an experience of His presence.  It's as if no one else is around and it's just me and Him -knowing and being known.

He longs for that intimacy with me and with you.  He wants us to know Him. He wants us to want Him.

Abraham Lincoln was a great president.  I know a lot about him.  I have visited the places that he walked.  I have read books about him and marveled at his face at the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, D.C.   Though I know about him, I don't know him.

Jesus is not just a figure hanging on a cross or a picture hanging in your grandmother's hallway.  He's not just a historical figure.  He is the living God.  He is a life-giving God.  He is the only true God.  By him were all things made and for him all things were made. 

You were made by him.  For I was knit together in my mother's womb, your eyes saw my unformed body when I was hidden in the secret place...every day was written in your book before one of them came to be. Psalm 119

You were made for a purpose.  For I know the plans that I have for you, says the Lord; plans to prosper you and not to harm you, to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29

The rest of that verse goes on to say that He will hear us when we turn from the path we have marked out for ourselves and turn toward him. I believe it is the longing of every heart to be known.

Like a father reaching to pick up a child that has fallen, He longs to pick you up and to carry you.  Getting closer to God doesn't just happen.  You have to make a move.

It can happen in your life today, though.  You can get one step closer to knowing Him.  Turn from where you are, reach up to God with your heart and your hands and whisper "Jesus, pick me up".  He knows your heart.  You will find that you are in the hands of God and that He is closer than the air you breathe!

No comments: