Thursday, April 23, 2009

Faith Like a Child

My son is really interested in the computer. He likes to play games and has recently learned how to cut and paste things. He finds stuff like the "Cubs" logo. He pasted that on the desktop of his dad's computer. He did it without any help, just innocently trying stuff until it works.

On the way home from church Sunday, he asked me if he could put together a power point. I said, "I don't think so, Honey. I don't know how to do that, and Daddy won't be home for a while. And I really don't want you messing with the computer". He said, "Well, I saw Microsoft Word Power Point 2003 on the computer and I think I can figure it out".

He and his brother have a collection of twenty troll dolls. They win them as prizes at school for various reasons. He thought it would be cool to do a Troll Power Point. So, he said, "Well, will you at least let me look for the pictures that match the ones we have". I agreed. Within minutes he had searched, cut and pasted about five of them onto Microsoft Word. This went on for awhile. I was busy doing Mom things while they were having fun searching for pictures of their trolls on the internet.

After an hour or so, he came to be and said, "Mommy, I have found most of them, but I was getting really frustrated, because this one was really hard to find". He went on to say, "So I walked away from the computer. I said, God, I have tried everything and have done all that I know to do". He continued, "So, Lord, it is your turn to do your part". He said after he prayed, he went back to the computer. He hit "Search Again" and with a huge smile, he continued, "and two pictures popped up". I said, "Honey, that is so cool. Did you remember to thank God when he did that?" He said, "Yes, Mommy, I did thank him!"

I was so blessed. My first thought was how blessed I was that he went to God. I thought how insightful that he would express himself to God so honestly. And then I was in awe that God answered his prayer instantly. God cares about what we care about. What a seemingly insignificant activity. But, I know that God was using it to build his faith.

My boys spent several hours and were excited to share their 20-page power point with family, friends and their 2nd grade classrooms. They found pictures and backgrounds for each one. They also gave each of them names and descriptions of their interests and backgrounds. It was pretty impressive, if my opinion counts.

I am even more impressed with their faith and God's faithfulness. I am certain God will use their giftedness in their lives and hopefully to glorify himself. I am also feeling convicted by this child like faith.

I don't know how to do a power point. Want to know a secret? I have never tried. I have never had the innocence to want to venture on the computer very far. I might mess something up or worse the computer may crash. I'm pretty sure they weren't concerned about either one. They just took their chances, were not afraid of making mistakes and they persevered. And when they couldn't do it on their own...they asked for help...divine help.

Imagine God on his throne with multitudes of voices and multitudes of prayers being lifted to his ears. There are wars and rumors of wars... The foundations of the world as we know it, are being shaken. Then in an instant, he hears the cry of my son for help. He immediately answers. I'm so thankful that God is still secure on his throne...so secure that in the midst of all the turmoil we are in, he attends to the heart of a child!

What a loving God we serve. Won't you turn to him with the same child like faith and ask him for what you need. You can be specific, he already knows all the details anyway...and when he answers, don't forget to thank him!

I pray you will be blessed today!

No comments: