Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Love Is Kind

Love is kind...
I can't get the scene out of my mind. Yesterday, as I was in a hospital waiting room I watched an elderly lady conversing with her son. He told me that she was 83 soon to be 84 years old. I noted how well put together she was. Everything was navy, her outfit her rather large earrings, her jacket, her shoes and even her purse. She had lipstick on and a very sweet disposition. Her son lovingly sat with her and consoled her fretting as they waited for their husband/father who was having a test performed.
As the time ticked by, her son left for a few minutes to get a drink. I asked her how long she had been married. She said, " I think 40 years", then she kind of giggled. She said, "Well, I should know that...I think it's been 80 years". Another giggle, "Well, we've been married about as long as we've had him" as she pointed to the empty chair where her son had been. When he returned she said, "How long have we been married?" He said, "Well, you and dad have been married for 67 years." She smiled, and said, "Yeah, I should have known that."
A little more time past, and the son got up again. About this time, the doctor came out to talk to her. Knowing she would be a little confused, I was attentive to what he said. When he left she looked at me and said, "I think he said, he's going to be alright...right?" (He had a small aneurysm in his aorta, but yeah, he was going to be alright... for now). Hoping she didn't read the fear in my eyes, I assured her that the doctor said he would be alright.
A few minutes later, the doctor came back to say that her husband was getting very impatient and they were going to cut the test a little short. She started really fretting now about how long he had been there. They brought him out and she and her husband immediately locked eyes. It was obvious he knew no one would understand him the way that she does. He said, "I'm almost 90 years old and I can't take these tests anymore." Her eyes welled up with tears of compassion. She reached out to him and put her hand on his knee and then on his shoulder. He rested his face in his hands and she began to rub the back of his head, running her fingers through his hair. Then she looked at me and smiled. She was so proud of her man.
I wanted so badly to stay and hear "their story". She may have been confused about a lot of things, but one thing was certain...she knew the one she loved.
They were a beautiful example of Christ's love for us. I am my beloved's and he is mine.

No comments: