Saturday, January 24, 2009

Mommy - I Have a Question

As I put my little boy to bed last night he began to ask questions about the overturning of the "Moment of Silence" allowed in public schools. Yesterday, a judge in Illinois deemed it unconstitutional. Amazing!

We saw the report on Fox News where they were interviewing Dr. James Dobson, child psychologist and founder of Focus on the Family. Dr. Dobson stated that he has never seen such extreme measures against children.

My son couldn't figure out why they would take the moment of silence from them. Every morning their principal asks everyone to pause for a moment of silence. That's it! No one is forced to pray, think or meditate...just be silent for a moment.

I asked him what he does during the moment of silence. He said he prays sometimes, like for who would be best to get the part of Santa in the Christmas play, and he prayed for the presidential election. Sometimes, he just looks at the flag.

He asked me why the judge would think that was wrong. I said I don't know. What I do know is that Jesus wants us to talk to him (pray) whenever and wherever we are. We talked about Daniel in the Bible and how he prayed even though it was against the law. He said what will happen to me if I pray at school? I assured him that he would be fine and he could pray whenever and wherever he wanted.

We then talked about the judge and where his heart is. I said the best thing we can do is pray for him and hopefully he will understand how the Lord wants us to talk to him. He said, "I think this is a perfect time right now. We are finishing 21 days of fasting (from sugar) and I think the Lord will hear us pray for him." I was so blessed and said "Yes, let's pray for him right now".

This morning, I was led to this scripture. Jesus says that the day will come when every mouth will declare him LORD.

So God raised him to the highest place.
God made his name greater than every other name.
So that every knee will bow to the name of Jesus-
everyone in heaven, on earth,
and under the earth.
And everyone will confess that
Jesus Christ is Lord
and bring glory to God the Father. Philippians 2:9-11

I am so thankful for the opportunity to teach my children about God's faithfulness and His amazing love! May He bless you today with a revelation of Himself as you follow after Him with the heart of a child!

No comments: